Often described as the most important thing you can do to create a healthy, thick and robust lawn, core aeration is the process of mechanically removing small cores of soil from the lawn using an aeration machine. The aeration machine is designed to penetrate the soil and remove small cores about 2-3” in depth about the same size as your index finger.
The lawn aeration process leaves plugs of soil and thatch on the surface of the lawn so they can be incorporated back into it. Depending on the time of year and weather conditions, these small cores will decompose and the tiny holes will fill in within a few weeks.
Benefits of Core Aeration:
- Reduces and relieves soil compaction
- Encourages deep healthy roots
- Removes undesirable, excessive thatch layers
- Helps eliminate drought stress
- Reduces weed infestations
- Reduces insect and disease incidence
- Increases the uptake of fertilizers and control products
- Stimulates new turf growth
Request A Quote
Healthy lawns breathe better with core aeration.
The ideal time to have your lawn aerated is during Spring and Fall, when the lawn is actively growing.
Core Aeration is recommended once each season to maintain healthy turf. Heavily compacted soils and lawns with excessive thatch buildup may require additional more frequent aerations.
Contact your local Nutri-Lawn to learn more about our Core Aeration service, as well as other ecology friendly lawn care services available for your area.
What is Core Aeration?